Tuesday, May 19, 2009

K'Naan - The Dusty Foot Philosopher

How would you have spent a typical day in elementary school? I’m sure you weren’t that different from K’Naan, hanging out with your friends on “the neighbourhood street corner,” joking around, and maybe rapping a few lines by your favourite artists. There, however, is one rather important detail that sets you and K’Naan apart. While you grew up, most likely, in a safe, North American environment, K’Naan was standing “on the dusty streets of Mogadishu”, half a world away. Alright, you are thinking; so he grew up in Africa. What’s the big deal? Most rappers are black anyway. I’m sure they all were dropping verses by “Nas, and Rakim, and all the other great American MC’s.” Well, that’s where the second not so subtle detail comes in; while K’Naan was imitating the speech of his favourite artists “with an almost eerie attention to detail and pronunciation,” he could not speak a word of English.
By the time K’Naan was born, American rap had reached the far corners of the Earth. Recordings of the “great American MC’s” could be found in every bustling city in the world. K’Naan, “grandson of one of Somalia’s most famous poets,” could not help but gravitate to this new form of oral expression; it was in his blood. When it came time for his family to leave the country due to the brutal civil war and violence that plagues Africa, they came to North America on the very last commercial flight to ever leave Somalia, and that is where K’Naan began to flourish.
When rap is mentioned these days, what images come to your mind? I’m sure they are very similar to what I picture: big black men, with the occasional Eminem lookalike thrown in, covered in tattoos, singing about money, girls, and drugs. This, however, is the exact opposite of the likeness K’Naan portrays. This young lyricist is described as “a beacon for…those dedicated to global change” and he works tirelessly to improve to conditions for those less fortunate than him; those who didn’t make it onto a flight out of Africa.
In 2001, K’Naan travelled to Geneva to “perform a spoken word piece” at the 150th anniversary of the UN Commission for Refugees. His “music with a message” was heard by “some of the biggest suits in the world,” and earned him a standing ovation. K’Naan explained that he “basically called out the UN for its failed relief mission in Somalia.” He is considered a hero by many for his refusal to give up on his native peoples and his ability to bring real issues to the limelight. Personally, I am inspired by what he is doing. Every interview I watch and every song I listen to has the same message: things may not always be wonderful and happy, but with a lot of hard work and effort we can make a change. K’Naan’s music does not glorify life on the streets like the songs of many artists today, but rather he exposes it for what it truly is; a hard, dangerous existence. While I am nowhere near the same caliber of poet as K’Naan, I can identify with his desire to help those less fortunate than myself. Once I am finished with my education, I hope to travel, along with other aid workers from Doctors Without Borders, to Africa in order to help the people there. K’Naan is one of my inspirations, and I hope his “politically charged messages" with resonate with you as well.

"My long term goal is to use whatever fame I get to help change the situation in my region...not to own a clothing line like some of my rap peers" -K'Naan

Article
http://www.vh1.com/artists/az/knaan/bio.jhtml

Videos of interest - and you should really check these out!

Getting to know K'Naan

Soobax

There is a reason for the Piracy...

No comments:

Post a Comment