Tuesday, June 9, 2009

1. My Bench


It was a beautiful spring evening when I headed out to Ambleside to find my bench. It was difficult, at first, to find one that wasn’t the cookie-cutter “from your loving family” type bench. I wanted something more unique, something more interesting and inspirational to write about. Then, after what felt like hundreds of benches, I found it. “In our hearts, the image of a gallant ship and the spell of the great sea” read the inscription. Instantly, ideas of poems to use, how I was going to write my own, and various descriptions flew through my head. This, I knew, was my bench; it was exactly what I was searching for! If one did not read the inscription, one would think this was just like every other bench along the seawall. A metal frame, bolted to the pavement, supported varnished wood slats that formed the seating area. The bench was slightly weathered from the wind and the sea, and the engraving plate was tarnished. This bench, however, told a story. It bore witness to the people who had sat on it overlooking Burrard Inlet, and seemed to have some sort of rugged personality. It was slightly more worn in the middle, where people had rested, and the varnish was starting to disintegrate. Soon one of the maintenance people would undoubtedly come by and reinstate the bench to its former glory, but I liked the used feel the bench possessed. All in all, it was a good looking bench, strong and sturdy, but on the engraving plate is where its true magic is held.

No comments:

Post a Comment