Tuesday, June 9, 2009

4. A Bench For My Grandmother

I loved my Grandma, and she loved me, but what she loved almost as much was Stanley Park. We used to walk around the lake there, feed the ducks, and talk about the natural wonders we saw. She taught me the names of the trees, the various types of flowers, and to recognize the multitudes of birds by their calls. Although I have forgotten most of her lessons now, since her passing, the memories of those endless days in the park will stick with me perpetually. If I was ever to dedicate a bench to someone, I would give a one to my grandma. She was such an influential person in my life, and it would give me a great sense of closure to have a place to go to visit her spirit. I would make certain I could find a spot overlooking the lake, where other grandparents could take their grandchildren to feed the ducks. On the bench, I would put something exceptional. I would not want to write anything generic, because my grandmother was far from average. Instead, I would include something special. Something along the lines of this: “Born under a wandering star, from east to west, Oma’s spirit will continue to ride with the wind. But if she, for some strange reason, wants to rest a while, here is where she’ll sit. –Love peanut”
This inscription is very specific to my grandmother because she loved to travel. If you were to name any fantastic place in the world that you wanted to visit, I can guarantee that I have a photograph of her standing there. From the immense pyramids of Giza, to the Great Wall of China, my grandmother has been everywhere. Her and my step-grandfather took exotic trips all the time; and though I wish I could have joined her, the chance to follow her example and set out on my own brings me unimaginable joy. I too share her curious intellect, and the whole rest of my family sees my grandmother when they look at me. We are two of a kind, and I cannot even begin to express how much I miss her. When I first read this question, it was obvious who I would dedicate a bench to: my wonderful grandmother.

No comments:

Post a Comment