Tuesday, June 9, 2009

7. My Pholosophy of life

This poem embraces the carefree spirit of the ocean, and I try to possess a similar spirit. The speaker is described as “happy” and “willing,” and satisfied with his life on the sea. The fact that the speaker embraces everything the sea throws at him and understands the “pleasure and pain” shows how easygoing and accepting of the inevitable that he is. I also believe that we should be ready to take whatever life throws at us. It is important to live in the moment, and enjoy the gifts life lives every day. Though there are hard times, storms and squalls, the sun will inescapably return. We should live our lives with no regrets, and enjoy every moment, because all the experiences we have today form us for the future. Like the speaker in the poem, we should not want to change the decisions we make, “but with life to live over” make the same decisions again.
Also, I believe that once a person has found their calling, they should stick to it. The speaker in the poem says that “there is no other life” for him except for being a sailor. Eventually, I too hope to find my passion, and be able to be as happy as the speaker in the poem. Personally, I believe that everyone is destined for something, and that it is our job to figure out what that something it. Every person, while possessing many talents, is fated to make their mark on the world in some way. The speaker of the poem continued the east coast tradition of being a “sailor,” and I will find my calling as well.




No comments:

Post a Comment