Tuesday, June 9, 2009

5. Journal Response

My Nissan Pathfinder

My hands are still shaking as I clutch the steering wheel. Kati is yelling in the passenger seat, “That guy almost hit us!” She is right – it was a close call; too close. Driving down Main Street on our way to Ambleside I was going through an intersection with a fresh green light and someone almost turned into me. If I had not slammed on the breaks immediately it would have been t-bone time. With adrenaline flooding my system I struggled to get my body under control again so I could finish the drive.
We took the road along the train tracks, past the huge silos of grain, and marveled at the sheer number of birds flocking after the seeds. The rest of the trip was uneventful: a stop at 7-11 for slurpees, a debate about which radio station to put on, and a run through the gas station. Then, camera in hand, we set out along the seawall. It must have looked a little strange as we ran from bench to bench, yelling out the inscriptions to each other. We chatted and wandered along the concrete path that lines the sea. With the smell of brine in our noses and the sunset lighting our way, it was hard not to be impressed with the absolute beauty of our surroundings. The sun faded away and the lights of downtown became clearly visible against the dark night sky. As the temperature dropped, the chill set in and we hurried along the seawall back to my truck. The same truck whose brakes saved us only a few hours before was waiting exactly where we left it. Of course I had forgotten to close the moon roof and the same chill we were trying to escape had penetrated the vehicle. I closed the roof and turned on the heat' we had some errands to run: cake mix was needed for a friend’s birthday cake. Needless to say, we drove very slowly, and very carefully…

No comments:

Post a Comment